What is the coronavirus?
OTHER RECENT EPIDEMICS
Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS-CoV) ki
- Identified in 2003, first infected humans in China in 2002 Killed nearly 650 people in China/Hong Kong in 2002-2003 Thought to have come from bats, spread to civet cats to humans
Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS-CoV)
- First identified in Saudi Arabia in 2012 Over 800 killed in Middle East Came from dromedary camels to humans
NEW STRAIN New China strain SARS-like virus
- First identified in late December 2019 in Wuhan, China Several other countries, too, report infections in months to follow.
- Wuhan’s seafood market centre of outbreak.
- Human-to-human transmission